Ski for Heat and Keep Low-Income Vermonters Warm this Winter
Calling all skiers, cross-country skiers, and snow shoe enthusiasts! Have fun and contribute to a great cause at area Ski for Heat events on January 25. Ski for Heat is an annual statewide fundraiser that raises money for fuel and utility assistance programs at Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA) and other Vermont Community Action Agencies. Anyone can participate by skiing, riding, or snowshoeing at participating Vermont Alpine or Nordic centers, many of which offer special deals to those who contribute to or raise funds for Ski for Heat. Participating locations in Windham and Windsor counties include the following Vermont ski centers:
- Viking Nordic Center, Londonderry
- Magic Mountain, Londonderry
- Grafton Ponds Outdoor Center, Grafton
- Stratton Nordic Center, Stratton Mountain.
- Brattleboro Outing Club, Brattleboro
“Being warm is such a basic need, but many in our area can’t afford to heat their homes adequately and still have enough for food, housing, medical care, and other necessities,” said Martha Robertson, founder of Ski for Heat. “Our goal is to help as many Vermonters as we can this winter. We provide a fun opportunity for people to make a difference in their communities in a simple, accessible way. We hope to see you on the slopes and trails on January 25!”
The public is invited to participate in any of the following ways:
- Simply show up and ski, ride, cross-country ski, or snowshoe at participating Ski for Heat sites on January 25. Many ski areas offer a reduced entry fee or free entrance for those who donate to Ski for Heat, or they will contribute a portion of the day’s proceeds. Some areas require pre-registration to get the special deal offered. Please see the Events tab on the Ski for Heat website (www.skiforheat.org) for a full list of participating ski centers and details about how to participate.
- Raise funds from family and friends or request contributions through the Ski for Heat website prior to your participation on January 25.
- Make a donation to someone else who will be participating in Ski for Heat or donate directly on the website.
100% of funds raised will be used for heat or utility assistance for people with lower incomes in our communities. Those who raise $100 or more by January 25 will receive a free Ski for Heat long-sleeved shirt and be entered to win a “Ski and Stay” package at a Vermont resort. Other great prizes will be available.