SEVCA and Granite United Way of NH are partnering to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program in upper Windham County and Windsor County, VT. VITA helps low- to moderate- income households by providing free federal and state income tax return preparation services. SEVCA is now recruiting volunteers for the upcoming 2019 tax filing season to help as many families as possible claim the tax credits and refunds available to them.
We are looking for individuals who are willing and able to commit 3 to 4 hours per week from the end of January through April 15, 2020. Prior tax preparation experience is not necessary, but a commitment to training and certification is required. You’ll receive specialized training from a certified VITA instructor, plus IRS online courses. SEVCA provides all needed materials and software, along with a very supportive training structure. Continuing on-site training and supervision is provided during the tax season.
SEVCA operates VITA sites in:
- Westminster – SEVCA’s offices at 91 Buck Drive, Westminster, VT
- White River Junction – St Paul’s Episcopal Church, 749 Hartford Ave, White River Junction, VT
- Windsor – The Windsor Resource Center,1 Railroad Ave, Windsor, VT 05089
We can meet your schedule and needs! We are most in need of volunteers in Westminster, but could use more volunteers at any of the sites.
There are two types of volunteer positions. Both work under the supervision of a local Site Coordinator. Our specific needs are for:
- Intake Specialists—Greet tax filers, conduct an intake review to make sure all documents are present for a complete and accurate tax return, and offer resources for other financial needs filers may have.
- Tax Preparers—Interview taxpayers using standardized IRS forms and prepare and submit relevant returns. No previous tax or finance experience necessary, just general computer aptitude and a willingness to learn.