Crisis Fuel & Utility Assistance

Are you out of or about to run out of home heating fuel?
Have you received an electric disconnection notice?

If you have a heating emergency or imminent utility disconnection in your home, SEVCA may be able to help. Our dedicated staff works with state and federal agencies, Vermont utility companies, and local emergency funds to provide heating assistance to individuals and families in Windham and Windsor counties. If you are behind in paying your electric bill, our staff can also help you negotiate a payment plan with your electric company to prevent disconnection.  

How do I apply for help with a heating or utility emergency?

Family Services staff will assess the help you need and the type of assistance you may qualify for based on your circumstances and household income. SEVCA operates the state Crisis Fuel program for our area, which is usually available from the Monday after Thanksgiving until about mid-April, subject to funding. Those who experience a crisis outside of the official Crisis Fuel period or do not qualify for this program may be eligible for other programs. Contact the SEVCA office in your area to make an appointment to discuss your options,

How can I find out about Seasonal Fuel Assistance?

Another program that is available to low-income Vermonters is the Seasonal Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP) program, which covers a portion of the fuel costs for eligible families each year. Households are required to apply for Seasonal Fuel Assistance in order to be eligible for the state Crisis Fuel program. Our Family Services staff can provide more information about this program and assistance with applying, or you may visit the state Agency of Human Services / Department of Children and Families website at

WATCH THIS VIDEO to find out more about fuel assistance.


“Nothing could be worse than the fear that one had given up too soon, and left one unexpended effort that might have saved the world. ”

Jane Addams (U.S. social worker, 1860-1935)